Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The Christian Safety Patrol

This morning before I left for work I sat on the floor with my 2 year old watching the Disney Channel.  In between shows there was this 5 minute cartoon starring 2 Asian-American kids that ride around in what looks like Powerwheels.  They dress ridiculously for their age.  And truthfully they're smarmy little arrogant bratty kids that ride around looking for safety violations.  I mean seriously they are very annoying.  I don't know about kids today, but when I was a kid these guys would have been beat up... frequently.  

It got me thinking about people that are always looking for some type of violation to point out in everyone they meet (it was that bad.  no kid was spared their safety violation speech).  I mean Christians.  Everyone they meet gets a mini sermon about why what they're doing is some kind of violation of their understanding of biblical ethics.  These are the legalists.  The modern Pharisees. Known more for what they're against then what they're for.  Christian liberty is exchanged for many rules.  By the way, I am not libertarian in my understanding of Christian obedience to Jesus.  I'm not for doing whatever I feel like doing as long as I say I love Jesus. 

Anyway, if these bratty, little twit kids are this annoying to me I can only wonder how annoying the Christian Safety Patrol is to those who don't know Jesus.  Why would we ever give a non-Christian a "ticket" for not acting like a Christian?  What do we expect?

No comments: