Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Late Goodnight Thoughts

I'm trying to slowly work my way through John Piper's "Don't Waste Your Life."  I'm struck by the zeal he has for the glory of God displayed in the cross.  We are zealous for many things.  I regularly taunt my SC Gamecock friends about Clemson's total domination in the rivalry.  Why?  I'm zealous about Clemson football.  I regularly hail the latest movie I saw to my friends, convincing them why they too would enjoy the movie and should go see it.  Why?  I am zealous about good entertainment.  I have many heated political debates (at least I used to) extolling the virtues of conservative politics.  Why?  I am zealous about the conservative views of government.  How often to I boast in the glory of God revealed in the cross of Jesus Christ?  With so much small talk (not a totally bad thing), so much conversation about things that do not ultimately matter a bit, where in those conversations is the cross?  We like men who are powerful.  We respect the man who claims to have pulled himself up by his bootstraps to climb the ladder of success.  This is not what the cross is about.  The cross is the triumph of power in weakness.  The power of what is not powerful.  The glory of what is despised.  The victory of defeat.  It's the paradox that rules our lives.  That in the act of executing Jesus as a common criminal, the spotless sacrifice that would take away our stains was humbled and then glorified.  So will we be too one day.  I do not tremble enough at the piddling little thoughts that occupy my time.  I don't fear enough the trivialities that fill my consciousness.  If I was overcome by the glory of the cross then how could I remain fixated on the least important facets of life.  Die to self.  Take up your cross and follow me.  The call is come and die so you might live.  More paradox.  Die to live.  Live to die.  That Christ may be magnified in my life.  The cross is not easy.  It is not pretty when you really think about it.  It's simply the most necessary act that's ever been performed on our behalf.  Goodnight.  Sleep well.  Dream about the cross.  Dream of how it will affect you when you wake up.  Let it grip you.  Goodnight.

No comments: