Saturday, December 22, 2007

Unabashed Cowboys Fan, Presuppositions, and Worldviews

They are not America's team in the way they were under Tom Landry, but the Dallas Cowboys will always be my boys.  They are the greatest franchise in NFL history and I don't care what anyone says.  You really can't even argue with that statement can you?  It's irrational and beyond argumentation because I'm predisposed to believe that no matter the evidence.  

We always have presuppositions.  Those are the beliefs that we start out with prior to the argument so to speak.  They are things that are foundational beliefs that color all our other beliefs.  They all fit together to form what's called a worldview.  Your worldview is like a pair of glasses that you look through to see the world.  What your worldview is determines most everything.  It interprets the data you see.

For example, if I am an atheist, that is a part of my worldview.  It colors the way I interpret data I receive about the world.  I look at the beauty of creation, the magnificence of the universe, and the wonder of loving relationships and say "It's all a cosmic accident."  My worldview forces me to say that.

On the other hand a Christian takes the same data, and interprets it radically differently.  They view all of that and say, "Praise God whose handiwork this all is!"  It is the worldview they (we) hold that forces us to say that.  And what a joyous worldview it is.  We believe that underlying all of reality, the basis on which all of creation exists, is a personal God.  That is, a God that is not only Holy and transcendent, but stoops to our level to be near to us in a powerful way.

What is your worldview?  Think about the ways that it makes you interpret the world around you?  Thank God for His goodness and the ability to perceive it today.  I know the Cowboys thing is a stretch to start out with!  But they're on TV and on my mind.

No comments: