Saturday, November 17, 2007

30 Year Olds in College Clothes

The last post was sort of metaphorical, scriptural, type musings based on God's word. This one is sort of more personal, embarrassing, and close to home. I'm now officially 30 years old. Yes, November 17th makes me a man no longer in his 20's. It's also official that I am now able to be branded as someone stuck in another decade. I wear flip-flops and I'm not a hippie. I wear t-shirts and blue jeans and I'm not a rock star. I still have a shadow where once grew a goatee, and a rather magnificent one at that. I don't feel 30. I don't look 30, but there is no getting around the fact that I am 30. 30 years old and still dressed up in the trappings of a college student. I find it hard to let go. I am now the guy wearing member's only jackets in the 90's. I'm the guy listening to 80's hair bands in the grunge age. In short I'm the guy I made fun of when I was half-way cool. I'm also a married father of two girls. I'm cornier than ever. I would rather spend the evening on the couch than out on the town. Some things change while others remain the same. 30 isn't anything more than a number, but it's a symbol as well. A symbol that it's time to move on. To face the realities of life, and quit trying to just "be me." That was a rather embarrassing stage of life. The refusal to grow up b/c it didn't "fit" my personality. I've got a lot more to learn as a father, husband, pastor, son, etc. But thankfully to God I've learned so much already. 30 more years is right around the corner God willing. At 30 being stuck at 20 is inexcusable. At 60 being stuck at 50 is forgivable. I'll wake up there tomorrow. In the blink of an eye. Then I'll be wearing black socks with shorts and penny loafers. I'll wear white socks with dress pants. My lasik will have worn off. And I hope I'll be exactly where God wants me to be.

No comments: