Saturday, January 5, 2008

Dressed for a Million

If I were to appear before an audience of a million people to, let's just say....preach.  And as I prepare my sermon, polish every sentence, study it, and then study it some more, I find that the time has arrived for me to step out onto the stage to deliver the message.  So as I'm getting dressed I pull out my oldest, holiest, dirtiest blue jeans.  My comfortable white t-shirt with stained underarms and a hole near the belly button.  My bedroom slippers.  And my old UPS American Eagle fitted hat.  I then walk out onto the stage to preach.  What happens?  Instant loss of credibility.

When you're speaking in front of any group of people in a public setting, you do not want your appearance to distract from the message, causing you to miss out on the opportunity to preach.  That horrid little outfit may work if I'm practicing my sermon for my wife, but not for a public delivery.

I try to blog as if a million readers were reading it.  I don't dress it up lazily and sloppy.  I make every effort to make it pleasing to the eye.  It's not the best designed website ever, but I try to at the least post regularly, post relevantly, and post reverently (alliteration!).  The truth is there are no where near a million people who read my blog on a regular basis.  I will not tell you how many but I will say I know.  

If you visit my blog on a regular basis or even if it's your first time, I want to say thank you for stopping by.  Thank you for whatever little piece of my writing you read.  Thank you for humoring a rural pastor with the absolutely astounding technology capabilities to actually be read by millions.  One day it may reach higher numbers.  For now, faithful readers, I pray you will continue to find many things worth your time and keep coming.  I will continue to dress for a million.  You continue to listen.  Maybe we'll accomplish something here?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read it! Sure, we're blood, but, hey, I count, right??

Love my bro!

Rural American Pastor said...

Sisters count forever!