Thursday, January 10, 2008

What Exactly is a Blog and Why Do It?

A blog is a shortened form of 2 words, web and log, or weblog.  There is no standard kind of blog, so that we could say a blog has "such and such" content.  In some cases it is like an online journal. A diary of sorts that people on the internet can read.  People usually blog about things that are interesting or important to them.  There are family blogs where the blogger posts about their family, including pictures and anecdotes and insights as a parent/child/etc.  There are strictly religious blogs where people post about nothing else.  This blog is an eclectic blog.  That just means that it is a mixture of topics that I find interesting, helpful, inspiring, etc.  I'm the author and so what I find to be all of the above mentioned things is my particular preference. Sometimes I'll write about Christianity, the Bible, God, Jesus, etc.  Other times it will be about family.  Still others are cultural, and maybe once in a blue moon political. 

Anyone with an internet connection and a limited amount of know-how can create a blog.  It's really very easy.  It gives you an opportunity to communicate to a diverse group of people about the topics that matter to you.  I would encourage you to give it a try.  If you find it's not your thing then you don't have to continue.  I personally make it an aspect of discipline.  I force myself to post my thoughts on a regular basis.  Sometimes in hind sight I wish there were things I didn't post, but thankfully I can go back and delete it!  Blogging is VERY popular these days, and if you can think of something interesting to you, there will be a blog about it.

It is a form of expression.  It is comforting.  It is a release, and a relaxing part of my day.  I look forward to logging on and posting, and then checking to see how many people were there any given day.  If you stop by regularly and I don't know you leave me a comment.  I would love to meet you.  Blessings and happy blogging.

No comments: